- This event has passed.
Sheep Shearing & Herding
April 23 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 10:00 am, repeating until April 24, 2022
Celebrate all things sheep and wool with a weekend of shear fun!
- Marvel at the speed and skill of border collies as they bring the flock together in live Border Collie Herding Demonstrations at 11:30AM, 1:30PM and 3:30PM.
- See sheep shearers’ balance of physical strength and finesse with Live Sheep Shearing Demonstrations at 10:30AM, 12:30PM, 2:30PM and 4:30PM.
- Sample local sheep’s milk cheese from Vermont Shepherd on Saturday and from Woodcock Farm on Sunday.
- See historic sheep-shearing tools on display
- Fill out a Sheep & Wool Passport as you follow the stages in the sheep-to-wool process and collect stamps from stations all around the farm.
- Get hands-on—pick straw and dirt from freshly sheared wool, learn to card wool, and try your hand at weaving on a peg loom.
- Children can spin and take home their very own woolen bracelet.
- Admire the final wool transformation in the colorful Dyeing Display.
- See the creative possibilities with demonstrations of felting, knitting, crocheting, drop spindle and wheel spinning, and weaving on a loom.
- Enter the raffle for a chance to win Woolen Treasures made by Billings Staff on display in the Activity Barn.
Purchase ice cream, snacks and hot coffee from the Farmhouse Café on the patio behind the 1890 Farm Managers House. Open today 11-5. Also find Billings Snack Packs available for purchase near the picnic area from 12-3.
Members: Follow signs for the special member entrance, open from 10-2. Not yet a member? Join today! Billingsfarm.org/join/
Save time – don’t wait in line! Purchase advance tickets for
Sheep Shearing and Herding Weekend
Sheep & Wool Week continues April 25 – 29, 10AM – 4PM. View displays on how wool is processed and see the freshly shorn sheep in the pasture.
Visiting safely: For updated information please visit billingsfarm.org/safety.
- April 23
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Event Category: