Go in-depth into the world of farming!
What does it mean to be part of a farming community? Farm Discovery Camp is a hands-on program for young people, ages 11-14 (rising 6th-9th graders), who want a deeper understanding of farming and all that it encompasses.
At Farm Discovery Camp you will meet local professionals and farmers who are leaders in their fields — the Billings Dairy Farm Manager, local beekeepers, and a large animal veterinarian. Work alongside our farmers to learn the ins and outs of dairy production. Take part in a local service project — at Billings Farm or in the Woodstock community and make a lasting difference. Along the way, you will gain an awareness of the many ways our food systems and our ecosystems are interconnected. You will have the chance to:
• Experience the daily rhythms of farming and learn firsthand how farmers make decisions about caring for the herd and the land
• Make farm-fresh food including homemade ricotta cheese and ice cream with Billings Farm’s jersey cow milk
• Meet farmers in our community and learn how to care for a calf, raise bees, and more
• Try fiber arts such as felting wool from Billings Farm sheep
• Explore the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park with a park ranger
• Make an impact on the farm and in the community with organized service projects
Fine print: Camp payments can be split in two, 50% paid at registration and 50% paid by May 1. Please call 802.457.5315 to carry out this payment option. Refunds can be given if notice is received prior to May 1 with a $50 processing fee. No refunds after May 1. If you are requesting to move your camper to another session, we will do so if there is availability, prior to 30 days before the start of the first day of camp.