WOODSTOCK, VERMONT… February at the Farm is a time to enjoy outdoor winter activities, celebrate all things Maple and even plan your spring garden! Billings Farm & Museum is open weekends in February and daily February 12 – 27 from 10 am – 4 pm.
Visit our Farm Animals – Jersey cows, sheep, calves, chickens and goats – all cozy for the winter. Enjoy the snow-covered fields with a Cross Country Ski or Snowshoe Trek – bring your own gear or rent from the nearby Woodstock Inn & Resort Nordic Center. Venture through the picturesque snow-covered farm fields and along the Ottauquechee River on the 1-mile-long groomed Billings loop. Bring your sled to zoom down the small hill next to the orchard. Warm up around the fire pit and roast delicious s’mores, available for purchase.
Explore Vermont’s Rural History. Take a self-guided tour of the 1890 Farm Manager’s House. Considered state-of-the-art when it was built in 1890, the farmhouse has features quite uncommon for the times. Tour the Farm Life Exhibits to explore what life on the farm was like in the 1890’s and search for snowflakes hidden within the exhibits. Learn about the families and history of Billings Farm in our Upon This Land Exhibit. A Place in the Land, the Academy Award® – nominee film which chronicles the development of Billings Farm is shown throughout the day in the Visitor Center Theater.
Vacation Weeks Feb. 12 – 27
- Join us for the Magic of Maple, an engaging experience around the site. Learn about maple trees, the maple sugaring process and the significance of maple sugar in Vermont’s history. Hear children’s stories about maple, meet a local maple sugarer, see sugar taps in action and taste the delicious treat of sugar on snow. www.billingsfarm.org/special-events/
- Public Sleigh Rides Conditions permitting, Billings Farm & Museum will offer horse-drawn sleigh rides on February 15, 17, 19, 21, 22, 24 & 25 from 11 am – 3 pm. Reservations for rides will be taken upon arrival at the Ticket Desk, on a first come, first served basis. The cost is $5 per person in addition to the purchase of a general admission ticket. Ages 2 and under are free. Rides are approximately 10 minutes long.
- Private Sleigh Rides by reservation. To book please visit www.billingsfarm.org/winter-sleigh-rides/
- Winter Wonders Camp, Feb. 14 – 18, 9 am – 12:30 pm. “Fun”tastic winter activities such as snow explorations, sledding and winter crafts for ages 6-8. Visit our website for more information and to reserve a spot. www.billingsfarm.org/winter-wonders-camp/
- Torchlight Snowshoe, Feb. 24, 4:30 – 6:30 pm. Join us for a torchlight snowshoe or walk along the Billings Farm trail as evening light begins. Warm up around the fire pit with complimentary s’mores and hot drinks. Learn about the wildlife and history of the land, guided by National Park rangers. Tickets must be purchased to attend. Adults $10/Youth (4-15) $5; BFM Members $5/Member Youth Free. Children 3 & under are free. www.billingsfarm.org/events/torchlight-snowshoe/
Woodstock Vermont Film Series
Join us in the Billings Theater for this season’s selections with screenings on Saturdays starting at 3 pm and 5:30 pm. This month’s films will feature Storm Lake (Feb. 5), The Ants and the Grasshopper (Feb. 12), Jimmy Carter: Rock & Roll President (Feb. 19) and Summer of Soul (Feb. 26) Tickets, season passes, and additional information are available on our website at www.billingsfarm.org/filmseries
Billings Backyard: Seed Starting and Garden Planning Like a Champ with Ben PaulySaturday, Feb. 26. 10 – 11:30am. Join Kelly Way Garden’s Master Gardener Ben Pauly for a discussion on planning and starting this year’s garden indoors using wonderous and unique varieties only available in seed catalogues. Be the envy of all your gardening friends, learn the tricks of the trade and maximize your gardening potential. Join us as we will talk about the how’s and why’s of starting your own garden from seed including sources, materials, methods, planning, and variety recommendations.
This workshop will be held simultaneously on Zoom and on site at Billings Farm & Museum. The Zoom presentation will be recorded and available to all paid participants. Proof of vaccination is required for onsite participants. Register by February 24th at www.billingsfarm.org/classes-workshops/
Visiting safely. For the continued safety of our staff and guests, all guests over the age of 2 are required to wear a face covering in all indoor spaces. All guests must wear masks when around people and unable to maintain 6’ physical distances outdoors. No entry is permitted without a face covering. Visit billingsfarm.org/safety for details.
~ ~ ~
Billings Farm & Museum, now in its 39th season, is open weekends Nov – Feb 10AM-4PM, and daily, 10AM-5PM April – October. Find the Special Events Calendar, daily schedules, admission pricing and membership information at billingsfarm.org.
Billings Farm & Museum is owned and operated by The Woodstock Foundation Inc., a charitable non-profit institution. Billings Farm & Museum is committed to providing educational opportunities and experiences to our visitors, whether here in Woodstock, Vermont or at home wherever you are through our online resources at Billings Farm at Home. Visit us on billingsfarm.org, and find us on Facebook at facebook.com/BillingsFarmMuseum/ and Instagram at instagram.com/billingsfarm/.