The Magic of Maple Daily February 12 through 27
WOODSTOCK, VERMONT… Ever wonder how the sweet, sticky syrup on your breakfast pancakes was made? Learn all about maple sugaring in Vermont during the Magic of Maple, daily from February 12 – 27, 10am – 4pm at Billings Farm & Museum.
Vermont’s rich maple history will be on display, through photographs from the Billings Farm collection and a showcase of tools used for tapping, sugaring and processing. Guests will learn about maple trees and why they produce their sweet sap. On Feb. 19 & 20, local maple sugarer, Mary McCuaig of Top Acres Farm, will be on site to share the maple sugaring process from tree to bottle. Top Acres Farm Syrup will also be available for purchase in the Museum Gift Shop.
Visitors can sample the treat of Sugar on Snow and see video demonstrations on how to make a delicious Maple Popcorn snack at home. Families can create a paper snowflake craft, read children’s stories by the outdoor fire and warm up with hot chocolate, coffee and s’mores, available for purchase on site from 10am-3pm.
Guests are invited to walk, cross-country ski or snowshoe along the snow-covered Billings Farm Trail loop, where they may observe old fashioned sugar maple spile and bucket taps. Follow the StoryWalk featuring “Snowflake Bentley” by Jacqueline Briggs Martin. Page by page, the story unfolds on signs along the pasture fence.
Several special programs will take place during the Magic of Maple:
- Public Sleigh Rides Conditions permitting, Billings Farm & Museum will offer horse-drawn sleigh rides on February 15, 17, 19, 21, 22, 24 & 25 from 11 am – 3 pm. Reservations for rides will be taken upon arrival at the Ticket Desk, on a first come, first served basis. The cost is $5 per person in addition to the purchase of a general admission ticket. Ages 2 and under are free. Rides are approximately 10 minutes long.
- Private Sleigh Rides by advance reservation. To book please visit billingsfarm.org/winter-sleigh-rides/
- Build a Snow Creation Instagram Challenge, Feb. 5-27 Construct, create or decorate a snow creation at Billings Farm. Hats, mittens, scarves, gloves and other decorations will be provided. Post photos to Facebook and Instagram, and tag @billingsfarm with #BFMSnowCreations. Winners will be announced February 28 and will receive delicious Billings Farm Cheese.
- Winter Wonders Camp, Feb. 14 – 18, 9 am – 12:30 pm. “Fun”tastic winter activities such as snow explorations, sledding and winter crafts for ages 6-8. Visit our website for more information and to reserve a spot. billingsfarm.org/winter-wonders-camp/
- Torchlight Snowshoe, Feb. 24, 4:30 – 6:30 pm. Snowshoe or walk along the Billings Farm Trail as evening begins. Warm up around the fire pit with complimentary s’mores and hot drinks. Learn about the wildlife, people and history of the land from National Park rangers. Tickets must be purchased to attend in advance or at the door. Adults $10/Youth (4-15) $5; BFM Members $5/Member Youth Free. Children 3 & under are free. billingsfarm.org/events/torchlight-snowshoe/